Saturday, December 14, 2013

Christmas Party

On Friday the 13th, the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild celebrated the holidays with our last Friday Sew Day. (They return to our normal Saturdays in January! Thank Heavens because Friday traffic was no joke.)

I laughed a lot and had such a great time with everyone. I love to see the creativity of this group. Everyone was working on something fun and it always inspiring to see a new idea. I wish my phone didn't die so soon or I would have more pictures to share.

Here are some highlights:

We exchanged mug rugs!
The one I made went home with Judy!
This fancy one from Michelle came home with me.
I love the smiling faces on the houses.
It also brightens up my sewing room!

I spent a good portion of my time making these gift card holders.
It can be used as a mini wallet or
business card holder once the card is spent.
I modified the pattern from Watermelon Wishes because I could not get a card to fit using her measurements. I found that cutting the rectangles and batting to 6.5 by 4.5 was just the right size.

I also used her clever idea for making a template from my morning coffee cup holder to create a cozy that closes with Velcro.

Both photos are from of Michelle's iPhone!


I also started making a really expensive and lengthy Christmas/Birthday wishlist based on a few different projects. I saw the Juki sewing machine I've been researching and heard great comments about it's durability. I also want a Thermofax machine to start printing my own graphics for pieces I've sketched out. Don't even get me started on fabrics. Everyone always has such yummy collections that I want to run out and buy.

I've decided to make 2014 the year of making just art quilts, designing fabrics and sewing things for myself. This is the first time I've ever been selfish with my sewing/quilting but I have to start sometime, right? (Of course, I will make the charity quilts and projects with my guild but the rest of the work I create will be for me.) I want to expand my knowledge of textiles and explore designing my own patterns on EQ7. I might even venture into making clothes and bags more, too.

What are your plans for the New Year?

No comments: