Tuesday, October 8, 2013

For The Black Sheep - Day 8





I've always felt like the black sheep in the family. I didn't follow the rules or traditions of everyone else. I didn't get married, have kids, go to a Catholic church or even choose to live in the same city. I've chosen my own rules to follow which was upsetting to some who wanted me to be like everyone else. I had to honor that part of me that needed to just be free.

Choosing my own path and style has led me to create my own art, too. I like to design my own patterns that are not in books or found in stores/online. I do study techniques and ways to be more efficient when quilting but I don't want to make the same thing as everyone else.

Since I taught myself how to sew and quilt, I am sure there are huge mistakes I've made along the way. However, I've learned not to dwell on the little details and marvel at the bigger picture. I've made something for someone else with lots of love. For the most part, it's a one-of-a-kind design that no one else will have. (When it's not an improvised design, I usually throw away the pattern once it's complete because I want to push myself to make something new the next time.)

Doing something different is important. I know it has made me a more creative person who looks at the world and sees infinite possibilities.

(Being eaten by art in Asheville, NC)
I'm ok just as I am. I hope you feel that way about yourself, too.

No comments: